According the AARP, more than 90% of older adults report that they would like to stay in their homes as long as possible. Helping your loved one fulfill this desire can be a bit daunting, especially for families who decide to hire a direct caregiver themselves rather than through an agency.
The emotions around caregiving for your parent or other loved one can make it difficult to focus on business details. But when hiring caregivers directly or through a contractor registry, there are federal statutes that you must comply with. You:
- Must withhold and contribute to all necessary taxes (state and federal unemployment insurance, state and federal tax
witholdings, Medicare and Social Security)
- Are liable for unemployment claims
- Must carry liability insurance
- Are required to carry worker’s compensation insurance that covers medical expenses and lost wages in case of a caregiver accident
- Could be impacted by discrimination claims, wage/hour disputes
- Cannot do a criminal or credit check on an individual working in your home (Fair Credit Reporting Act)
- Receive no supervision or oversight from an agency
- Must continue to provide (and document) adequate sleep and break requirements per the law
Learn more by watching Michael Wilsker’s interviews with Howard Goldstein, Sandy Adams and Deddie Dowd-Foley.
For many families the responsibilities and regulations that come with hiring a caregiver directly can be overwhelming. The Alzheimer’s Association encourages families looking for caregivers to work with an agency, noting that “agencies allow the client flexibility to adjust care without having to search for more skilled help when it becomes needed, often in the middle of an emergency.”
At Always Best Care we are here to help you through this challenging time by eliminating the stress of managing a household employee and providing you with peace of mind that your loved one is receiving the care they need.
All of the caregivers at Always Best Care are our own employees, and they are thoroughly screened with background and reference checks, bonded and insured. When we provide a caregiver for you, we are the responsible party – you always have someone to turn to who is accountable for both caregiver performance and meeting all federal, state and local requirements.
We would be happy to speak with you about hiring a caregiver through Always Best Care. Feel free to contact us.